III- TEXTURES

In the previous post we talked about how two characters from our “The Offsiders” story, Sergi & Svenson went from scratch to vectors. As I wanted to add more detail in the form of textures, Adobe Photoshop was the next stage. I opened the ai file in PS creating smart objects. For those not familiar with this let me explain, as it can be of help. When you paste a vector into PS you are given some paste option, smart objects is one of them. This creates a link between the layer you see in PS and the vector file. So every time you double click on the layer the original file opens. You can then edit whatever you want (in Ai) and after you hit save the changes will show on the PS file. If you paste those vectors as bitmaps you will lose this editing capabilities so smart objects can be helpful for going back and forward with changes.[/vc_column_text]

after_texture

[/vc_column][/vc_row]

An example of this can be the background and the header. They changed a lot during the process. So I just kept on editing their respective smart objects layers in the PS file. As you can see in the “Two Svensons” image at the bottom of the post, the goal posts changed their orientation. At the beginning they were located at the sides but now you can only see one on the back of the player. The header also went through many changes. Right now, we have three character classes: humans, robots and nature entities. In the beginning they shared the same header. You could differentiate their class by their respective icon. Knowing the class is an important aspect of the game we realised it was becoming difficult to spot clearly. So we decided to make different headers for each class. We are quite happy with the result but it’s not final, some tweaks still need to be done.

headers.

At this point I have to say the title of this post is not 100% accurate since, as you can see, this was not a complete “bitmap stage”. Although the main file is done in PS there is still a lot of vector editing through Ai. As you remember, these characters will go to print. So the file must be CMYK. If, by accident, you are working in RGB you can swap at any time, but sometimes you achieve colours via “screen” layer effect, for example, that are quite complicated to replicate in CMYK. So it’s better to plan in advance.

“Sergi” didn’t go through much changes during this stage but “Svenson” did. While making the adaptation from the card to the toy we had to go back and forth in order to achieve consistency between the two characters (the Svenson in the card and the toy figure Svenson). This was due some limitations in the toy creation process but we will talk more about that in the next post.

svensons

Above we got the two “Svensons”. Before “3D printing him, the version on the left had to change into the one on the right as we were having issues with the hair. And as we wanted to have a second pair of arms (those looked exactly the same as Sergi’s”) we also modified them. The idea was to make toys with swappable parts, so it was good to have as much variety as possible.

On the third and last entry we will show the last phase, 3D and production.

Cheers!

BH